The Advanced Practice Trauma Nursing SIG is open to all members with an interest in APNs and trauma and addresses the needs and concerns of trauma advanced practice nurses.
- Rose Milano, DNP, ACNP-BC – Oregon Health & Science University
Fluid Resuscitation in the Adult Trauma Patient
- Maria Bautista-Durand, MSN, FNP-C, PNP – Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles
Two case presentation of missed injuries in pediatric trauma
- Deb Hassler, MSN, ACNP-BC – Christiana Hospital, Delaware
Case presentation of a trauma patient with serotonin syndrome vs. neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Joan Pirrung, MSN, APRN, ACNS-BC
- Jonathan Messing, MSN, ACNP-BC, CCRN, TCRN
- Jasmine Garces-King, DNP, RN, ACNP-BC, CCRN, TCRN
Feinberg M, Mai JC, Ecklund J: Neurosurgical management in traumatic brain injury. Semin Neurol 2015; 35(1): 50-6.
Radomski M, Zettervall S, Schroeder ME, et al: Critical care for the patient with multiple trauma. J Intensive Care Med 2015.
Stevens RD, Sutter R: Prognosis in severe brain injury. Crit Care Med 2013; 41(4):1104-23.
Kotloff RM, Blosser S, Fulda GJ, et al: Management of the potential organ donor in the ICU: society of critical care medicine/American college of chest physicians/association of organ procurement organizations consensus statement. Crit Care Med 2015; 34(6):1291-325.
Stawicki SP, Goyal M, Sarani B: High frequency oscillatory ventilation and airway pressure release ventilation: a pracitical guide. J Intensive Care Med 2009; 24(4):215-29.
Emergency General Surgery
Clair DG, Beach JM: Mesenteric Ischemia. NEJM 2016; 374(10): 959-68.
Kirkpatrick AW, Roberts DJ, Waele JD, et al: Intraabdominal hypertension and the abdominal compartment syndrome: updated consensus definitions and clinical practice guidelines from the world society of the abdominal compartment syndrome. Intensive Care Med 2013; 39:1190-1206
Morris AM, Regenbogen SE, Hardiman KM, et al: Sigmoid diverticulitis: a systematic review. JAMA 2014; 311(3): 287-97.
Peitzman AB, Watson GA, Marsh JW: Acute cholecystitis: when to operate and how to do it safely. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2015; 78(1).
Salminen P, Paajanen H, Rautio T, et al: Antibiotic therapy vs appendectomy for treatment of uncomplicated acute appendicitis: the APPAC randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2015; 313: 2340-8.
Sarani B, Strong M, Pascual J, et al: Necrotizing fasciitis: current concepts and review of the literature. J Am Coll Surg 2009; 208(2):279-88.
Nursing and Advanced Practice Nursing
Collins TA, Sicoutris CP, McNicholas A, et al: Advanced practitioners are peers in trauma performance improvement peer review. J Trauma Nurs 2016; 23(2): 72-6.
West SK: Advanced practice nursing committee on process improvement in trauma: an innovative application of the Strong model. J Trauma Nurs 2016; 23(4): 227-30.
Transition to Practice Programs
A growing number of new-to-practice nurse practitioners are seeking additional educational opportunities in trauma and critical care before seeking permanent employment. Here is a list of current programs (please note that other programs may exist – you may email email@example.com for those to be added):
Carolina’s Healthcare System
George Washington University Hospital, Washington, DC
Intermountain Medical Center, Utah
St. Luke’s University Health Network, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
University of Maryland
Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma
American Association of Surgical Physician Assistants
American Nurses Credentialing Center
Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses
- Webpage manager: reviewing and maintaining accurate information to display on the STN SIG page. Communicating with STN to manage updates and changes.
- EAST AP Section Liaison – member of both the EAST AP section and STN AP SIG. Assists in building relationship between two groups and is actively involved in the EAST-STN Task Force.
- Practice update representative: identifying three to five articles each quarter to share with AP SIG members. Examples of articles would include topics in trauma, general surgery, critical care, nursing, and others. This member would also update and maintain the list of articles posted on the AP SIG page.
- Scope of practice representative: member who monitors and updates scope-of-practice changes based on state, ANCC, or other.
- Newsletter manager: drafting and submitting a quarterly newsletter addressing APN topics. Will include practices updates provided by above members, upcoming conferences and educational opportunities, etc.